Watch your step
In 2011, slips, trips or falls were the cause of 14.5 percent of work-related deaths, according to the 2014 edition of the National Safety Council’s “Injury Facts.” Whether it is a change in elevation, a recently polished floor or an icy sidewalk, follow these tips to help prevent slips, trips and falls:
- Wear appropriate shoes for the task at hand.
- When exiting a vehicle, hold on to the door, roof or assist handle.
- In inclement weather, wipe shoes on rugs to prevent tracking in water, snow and salt.
- Avoid distracted walking and remain alert for any surface changes.
- Follow basic safety rules when using ladders: check the ladder’s condition before use and maintain three points of contact (two hands and one foot, or two feet and one hand) at all times.