Researchers warn against drinking high-concentration peroxide

Reprints
hydrogen-peroxide.jpg

Photo: Joe_Potato/iStockphoto

Aurora, CO – Do not drink peroxide. Ignore the claims that it works as an alternative medicine.

That is the message from researchers at the University of Colorado School of Medicine, who recently reviewed a decade of poison control records for high-concentration peroxide ingestion from the National Poison Data System. They determined that more than 20 percent of 294 cases led to death, long-term disabilities or life-altering embolic events. Ailments associated with ingestion of peroxide included:

  • Stroke
  • Seizure
  • Respiratory distress
  • Altered mental status
  • Heart attack
  • Pulmonary embolism

“Though touted by the alternative and complementary medicine communities as ‘super water,’ peroxide should not be ingested for any reason,” lead author Benjamin Hatten, of the University of Colorado School of Medicine, said in a press release.

Researchers defined “high concentration peroxide” as that with a concentration strength of 10 percent or greater.

The study was published online Jan. 30 in the Annals of Emergency Medicine.

Post a comment to this article

Safety+Health welcomes comments that promote respectful dialogue. Please stay on topic. Comments that contain personal attacks, profanity or abusive language – or those aggressively promoting products or services – will be removed. We reserve the right to determine which comments violate our comment policy. (Anonymous comments are welcome; merely skip the “name” field in the comment box. An email address is required but will not be included with your comment.)