OSHA to retailers: Take precautions during sales events
OSHA this week sent a letter (.pdf file) to CEOs of 14 major retail companies, encouraging them to take steps to protect workers during big sales events such as Black Friday.
In 2008, a Walmart worker was trampled to death when a group of shoppers rushed into the store for an after-Thanksgiving Day sale.
In addition to the letter, OSHA provided a fact sheet with crowd management safety tips for retailers, such as:
- Have trained security personnel or officers on-site.
- Set up barricades or ropes for pedestrians and crowd control in advance.
- Develop emergency procedures to address potential problems.
- Explain entrance procedures to the public.
- Do not allow more customers into the store once it reaches capacity.