Safety group cautions RV drivers about railroad crossings
Washington – With summer being a prime time for family vacations, safety education group Operation Lifesaver Inc. recently released tips for driving recreational vehicles near railroad crossings.
In a press release, the group listed its “Top 10” tips, including:
- Watch for the advance warning sign before a railroad crossing.
- Stay behind the line while waiting for the train to pass.
- Do not cross the tracks unless there is enough room for your vehicle on the other side. Allow the full length of your vehicle, plus at least 15 feet.
- Do not cross until the gates rise completely and the lights go off.
- If your vehicle stalls at the crossing, exit immediately, even if you do not see a train. Call the emergency notification number near the crossing or call law enforcement.