Preventing burns from deep fryers
More than 5,000 workers are burned in restaurants every year, according to NIOSH. Commercial fryers are responsible for many of these burns.
Northbrook, IL-based Underwriters Laboratories offers these tips to protect workers when using a deep fryer:
- Consider using newer equipment that features an exhaust system, built-in grease filters, a grease disposal system and vat covers.
- Lay slip-resistant flooring around and near fryers.
- Be sure all workers using the fryer have been properly trained.
- Only use oil of proper quality.
- Never overfill the fryer with oil.
- Heat oil no higher than the manufacturer’s recommended cooking temperature.
- Do not store objects above the fryer.
- Minimize the addition of ice crystals when adding food to the fryer.
- Keep fryer, hood and surrounding areas clean and grease free.