Orthopaedic surgeons offer tips for using fireworks this Fourth of July
Rosemont, IL – Adults planning to use fireworks to celebrate Independence Day should take precautions to remain safe, according to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Roughly 21,692 people were treated for injuries related to fireworks in 2011, an AAOS press release stated. The organization offers the following safety tips:
- Do not allow children to use fireworks.
- Keep water nearby in case of fire.
- Follow the label on the packaging before using.
- Wear protective eyewear.
- Move ignited fireworks away from the body.
- Soak used fireworks in water.
- Never handle fireworks while drinking alcohol.
- If injured, seek medical attention immediately.