NIOSH updates strategic plan for nanotechnology research
Washington – NIOSH recently issued an update to its strategic plan for protecting workers from safety and health hazards associated with nanotechnology.
The new plan, issued Dec. 20, describes NIOSH’s upcoming research efforts through 2016. It incorporates findings from a 2012 NIOSH report detailing knowledge gaps in nanotechnology research.
To better understand and address the risks of engineered nanoparticles, NIOSH plans to focus its research on the following areas:
- Toxicity and internal dose
- Measurement methods
- Exposure assessment
- Epidemiology and surveillance
- Risk assessment
- Engineering controls and personal protective equipment
- Fire and explosion safety
- Recommendations and guidance
- Global collaborations