NSC expo
Subscribe or Register
View Cart  

Earn recertification points from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals by taking a quiz about this issue.

What's Your Opinion?

Has an employer ever asked you to do something that violated your code of ethics as a safety professional?

Take the poll and add your comment.

Vote   Results

Get the news that's
important to you.

Sign up for Safety+Health’s free monthly newsletters on:

  • Construction
  • Health Care Workers
  • Manufacturing
  • Mining, Oil and Gas
  • Office Safety Tips
  • Transportation
  • Worker Health and Wellness
  • Subscribe today
    Safety Tips | Workplace exposure

    Avoid CO poisoning when using gas-powered tools

    January 14, 2011

    • / Print
    • Reprints
    • Text Size:
      A A

    Because it is both colorless and odorless, carbon monoxide can be one of the most dangerous gases present in a work environment. Victims of CO poisoning may not even be aware they are being overcome by CO fumes.

    According to NIOSH, gasoline-powered engines and tools present a potentially serious CO hazard. When working with such tools, workers should:

    • Conduct a workplace survey to identify and evaluate all potential sources of CO.
    • Be sure all potentially hazardous equipment is marked with a warning label.
    • Never allow the use of gas-powered engines or tools indoors. Do not use them in partially enclosed areas unless the gas engines can be placed outside and away from air intakes.
    • Always place the pump and power unit of high-pressure washers outdoors and away from air intakes.
    • Consider using electric tools, or those powered by compressed air, as an alternative if available.
    • When using compressed air, place the gas-powered compressor outdoors and away from air intakes.
    • Use personal CO monitors equipped with audible alarms to warn workers when levels are dangerously high.
    • Learn to recognize symptoms of CO poisoning, such as headaches, nausea, fatigue, dizziness and visual disturbances. These symptoms can occur minutes after equipment is turned on.
    • If you recognize any symptoms of CO poisoning, immediately shut off equipment. Go outdoors or to a place with uncontaminated air.
    • If medical attention is required, call 911. Do not drive yourself to a medical facility.

    Post a comment to this article

    Safety+Health welcomes comments that promote respectful dialogue. Please stay on topic. Comments that contain personal attacks, profanity or abusive language – or those aggressively promoting products or services – will be removed. We reserve the right to determine which comments violate our comment policy.