Avoiding slips, trips and falls: Tips for wholesale and retail employees
A NIOSH publication (.pdf file) addresses preventing slips, trips and falls in wholesale and retail trade establishments.
Slips, trip and falls – the third most common cause of lost-workday injuries in wholesale and retail trade – occur due to factors such as slippery surfaces; loose mats or rugs; poor lighting; employee fatigue; and inappropriate, loose or poor-fitting footwear, according to NIOSH.
The tips offered include:
- Ensure aisles are free of clutter and other tripping hazards.
- Provide cleanup supplies at convenient locations in the facility.
- Place water-absorbent mats near entrances and areas where water, ice or snow may be tracked onto the floor.
- Train employees on identifying and preventing slip, trip and fall hazards.
Employees can help by taking the following precautions:
- Push (rather than pull) carts to allow a better line of sight.
- Walk with caution and make wide turns at corners.
- Clean surfaces as soon as they become wet.
- Place warning signs in wet floor areas and remove them when floor is clean and dry.