MSHA issues safety alert on struck-by incidents
Arlington, VA – Prompted by an “alarming upward trend” of miners being struck by, crushed or pinned by moving equipment, the Mine Safety and Health Administration recently issued a safety alert (.pdf file) on the hazard.
Since Jan. 1, 2010, 85 miners have been injured by mobile equipment, including eight killed in incidents involving mobile equipment at the face of the mine, MSHA said.
The alert includes a list of best practices, including:
- Install and maintain electronic proximity detection devices.
- Sound warnings when starting equipment, making tight turns, reversing direction or approaching curtains.
- Always walk behind mobile equipment. Never walk in front of a shuttle car or scoop.
- Exercise caution and signal your presence to mobile equipment operators.
- Wear reflective clothing.