USFA issues Christmas decor decorating fire safety tips
Emmitsburg, MD – Electric lights, candles and Christmas trees can present a fire risk, warns the U.S. Fire Administration.
To prevent fires in your home this holiday season, USFA recommends the following:
- Do not leave a real Christmas tree up longer than two weeks.
- Place the tree away from heat sources.
- Keep the real tree stand filled with water at all times.
- Use only non-flammable decorations.
- Do not link more than three light strands, unless the directions say it is safe to do so.
- Avoid using lit candles; consider battery-operated flameless candles instead.
- Ensure the tree and holiday decorations do not block exits.