FMCSA extends pandemic-related hours-of-service exemptions
Washington — The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration says temporary hours-of-service exemptions and other “regulatory relief” will continue for commercial motor vehicle drivers transporting items intended to assist in COVID-19 pandemic relief efforts.
Regulatory relief is extended to drivers who are transporting:
- COVID-19 vaccines; constituent products; and medical supplies and equipment, including ancillary supplies/kits for the administration of vaccines
- Medical supplies and equipment for the testing, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19
- Supplies and equipment to help curb the spread of COVID-19, including masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, soap and disinfectants
- Food, paper products and other groceries for emergency restocking of stores or distribution centers
- Livestock and livestock feed
Drivers making routine commercial deliveries, “including mixed loads with a nominal quantity of qualifying emergency relief added to obtain the benefits of this emergency declaration,” are not covered under the exemption.