Association releases statement on trampoline safety
Rosemont, IL – The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons on March 26 released a position statement (.pdf file) on the safe use of trampolines.
According to the statement, trampolines should not be used by children younger than 6. Guidelines include:
- Provide “careful adult supervision and proper safety measures” for trampolines used for physical education, competitive gymnastics, diving training and similar activities.
- Only one person should use a trampoline at any time.
- A spotter should be present when someone is jumping.
- Somersaults or high-risk maneuvers should only be performed with proper use of protective equipment, such as a harness.
- Supporting bars, strings and surrounding landing surfaces should have adequate protective padding.
- Equipment should be checked regularly for safety conditions.
- Trampoline ladders should be removed after use to prevent unsupervised access by young children.