Decorate safely during the holidays
Springfield, IL – Following safe decorating practices can help prevent injuries this holiday season, the Energy Education Council advises.
EEC cites Consumer Product Safety Commission statistics showing that every year, approximately 14,000 people are treated in emergency departments for holiday decorating injuries.
The council’s Safe Electricity program offers the following tips:
- Make sure all electronic decorations and lights are certified by a laboratory such as UL, ETL or CSA.
- Inspect cords and electrical equipment before using them.
- Turn off or unplug lights before going to sleep.
- Do not overload extension cords or outlets.
- If you are using a ladder, stay 10 feet from overhead power lines at all times, in all directions.
CPSC also offers a video on safe holiday decorating.