New NHTSA campaign urges parents to properly install child safety seats
Washington – The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on April 10 launched a website to give parents and guardians information on choosing and installing child safety seats that fit properly.
The website is a part of a nationwide campaign – “The Right Seat” – that will include television, radio, outdoor and online advertisements on securing children in the proper car restraint, according to a NHTSA press release.
NHTSA offers the following recommendations:
- Select a car seat based on the age and size of the child, and that fits properly in the vehicle.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual to properly install the car seat.
- Check the height and weight limits from the manufacturer.
- Keep the child in the car seat for as long as the child fits within the height and weight requirements.
- Keep the child in the back seat at least through age 12.