NIOSH issues prevention-through-design strategy
NIOSH in November released a plan for preventing work-related injuries and illnesses by designing hazards out of equipment, materials and processes.
Prevention through Design: Plan for the National Initiative (.pdf file) outlines goals and strategies and includes case studies of successful partnerships based on PtD.
Topics covered in the plan include:
- Research to assess current PtD interventions and challenges
- Education for designers, engineers and employers
- Sharing successful strategies
- Policy initiatives to promote PtD
- Tailoring PtD programs to small employers