Avoid spread of the flu
November 1, 2011
One way to prevent becoming ill with the influenza virus is to avoid crowded settings and exposure to others who may be infected. To help protect yourself in such circumstances, OSHA recommends:
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, or cough and sneeze into your upper sleeve.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use a hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth and eyes.
- Dispose of tissues in no-touch trash receptacles.
- When possible, maintain a minimum 6-foot distance between co-workers and customers.
- Avoid shaking hands and always wash your hands after physical contact with others.
- Keep frequently touched common surfaces such as phones and computer equipment clean.
- Try not to use other workers’ phones, desks, offices or work tools.
- Minimize group meetings by using email, phones and text messages. If meetings are necessary, avoid close contact with others and ensure meeting rooms are well-ventilated.
- Limit unnecessary visitors in the workplace.