www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/keep-products-with-magnets-away-from-kids-safety-groups-advise-2

Keep products with magnets away from kids, safety groups advise

May 30, 2012

Washington – Parents should keep products that contain magnets away from children to help prevent them from swallowing the magnets, according to a joint statement from the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Safe Kids USA. 

Refrigerator magnets, stress-relieving adult desk items and construction sets containing magnetic pieces can be dangerous to children, the organizations warned. Children who swallow a magnet may complain of abdominal pain and experience nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Parents or caregivers who suspect a child has swallowed a magnet should seek medical help immediately, the statement said.