Preventing slips, trips and falls
June 1, 2012
Reduce your risk of slips, trips and falls by:
- Keeping floors clean and clear of clutter.
- Maintaining good lighting both indoors and on outdoor walkways.
- Securing electrical and phone cords out of traffic areas.
- Installing handrails on all stairways.
- Using a sturdy stepstool when climbing or reaching for high places.
- Cleaning up spills right away.
- Wearing sensible footwear.
- Never standing on a chair, table or surface on wheels.
- Arranging furniture to provide open pathways to walk through.
- Periodically checking the condition of outdoor walkways and steps and repairing as necessary.
- Removing fallen leaves or snow from outdoor walkways.
- Being aware that alcohol or drugs, including prescription and over-the-counter medicine, can affect your balance and increase your risk of falling.