Steps workers can take to manage stress
March 1, 2011
In addition to workplace modifications, NIOSH recommends workers try to better manage their job stress levels by taking the following actions:
- Develop a strong social support system in the workplace. A co-worker or other ally who is available to talk through problems can help put things in perspective and minimize stress.
- Take a break to avoid “burnout.” Even something as brief as a walk around the block can help clear your head and distance you from stressors, enabling you to return to the job with a fresh outlook.
- Set realistic expectations for the amount of work you can complete in the time you have available. Do not attempt to take on more than you can reasonably handle.
- Recognize you are not perfect and every minor detail in your work will not be perfect either.
- Try to remain organized and keep your work area free of clutter, which can add to stress.
- Avoid negativity and negative people, and try to maintain a positive attitude about your work and your co-workers.