Watch where you walk
While walking to and from vehicles in a parking lot, workers should help prevent slips and falls by looking for broken pavement and grating, as well as leaks and spills from engine oil or antifreeze. The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety in Hamilton, Ontario, recommends employers do their part to keep parking lots safe by:
- Supplying good lighting.
- Maintaining an even and undamaged walking surface.
- Cleaning oil spills immediately, or marking oily spots or wet areas.
- Practicing good housekeeping.
- Clearing clutter, debris or any obstacles from walkways.
- Removing ice and snow as soon as possible.
If a worker spots any parking lot hazards, he or she should report the issue to a supervisor.