Video raises CO awareness for firefighters
Greenbelt, MD – Several organizations recently launched a campaign to educate firefighters about duty-related dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The campaign, which includes a six-minute video, urges firefighters to wear protective masks during active and overhaul operations, have their CO levels checked on the scene, and seek immediate treatment if they are not feeling well.
CO often is present without symptoms; even mild exposure can deprive the brain, heart and vital organs of oxygen. Research indicates one severe CO poisoning almost doubles the long-term risk of death, according to a press release from the National Volunteer Fire Council, part of the campaign.
Other participants include the International Association of Fire Chiefs, the International Association of Fire Fighters, and Masimo Corp.