The National Safety Council suggests employers relay the following information to employees to help reduce workplace incidents when handling and moving materials:
- Avoid lifting materials from the floor or while seated.
- Make use of available handling aids.
- Refrain from using sudden or jerky movements.
- Never lift a load over an obstacle.
- Perform lifts in areas with adequate footing, space and lighting.
- Modify objects and redesign jobs to make moving easier.
- Seek assistance from co-workers.
- Stay in good physical shape.
- Begin lifts close to the body.
- Use containers made of lighter materials.
- Reduce load sizes when possible.
- Do not twist or bend while lifting objects.
- Ensure repetitive, heavy and bulky lifts are not performed.
- Keep lifts between shoulder and knuckle height.
- Use conveyors, slides or chutes to eliminate pushing or pulling.