Nomination period opens for Prevention through Design Award
Washington — NIOSH, along with the National Safety Council and the American Society of Safety Professionals, is accepting nominations for the Prevention through Design Award.
Prevention through Design, or PtD, seeks to protect workers by limiting risks and reducing hazards as soon as possible during the work process – specifically in the design phase.
Presented for the first time last year, the award recognizes individuals, teams, businesses and other organizations that “have eliminated or reduced hazards through design or redesign efforts or have contributed to the body of knowledge that enables PtD solutions.”
To submit a nomination, email email@example.com and include in the subject line “PtD Award Nomination.” The award committee offers multiple questions nominees may address in their application, including:
- What problem were you solving?
- What is the improved design or process and how does it work?
- What health and safety benefits have been realized or are expected?
- In what ways does your solution – or mix of solutions – move hazard controls further up the Hierarchy of Controls?
- How did you identify hazards, assess risk, assess alternatives and decide on solutions?
Nominations are due May 2.