It’s back-to-school time! Drive safe
School is back in session, and it’s the perfect time to review some driving-related safety tips.
Do you drive your child to school? It’s vital for you to stay alert and avoid distracted driving, the National Safety Council says. Other tips:
- Obey school zone speed limits.
- Make eye contact with children who are crossing the street.
- Follow the school’s drop-off procedure.
- Driving behind a school bus? You need to stop if the yellow or red lights on the bus are flashing and the stop arm is extended.
If your child walks to school, remind them to always walk on the sidewalk. If that’s not possible, NSC says to walk facing traffic so you’re seen. More tips:
- Before you cross the street, stop and look left, right and left again to see if cars are coming.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
- Always cross streets at crosswalks.