Academy offers spring cleaning safety tips
Spring cleaning can be fraught with danger, warns the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. To make sure you stay safe while sprucing up, Rosemont, IL-based AAOS offers the following tips:
- Follow proper lifting and bending techniques -- separate your feet to shoulder width and use your leg muscles to stand up. Do not try to lift heavy or awkward objects by yourself.
- When gardening, avoid prolonged repetitive motions such as digging, planting and trimming. Take frequent breaks.
- To get to hard-to-reach areas, use a step ladder rather than a chair or counter.
- Always be sure ladders are placed on a firm, level surface. Never use ladders on ground or flooring that is soft, wet or uneven. Do not overreach: Your belly button should not go beyond the sides of the ladder.
- Read labels on gardening and cleaning products for proper use, and wear protective clothing when necessary.
- Store all chemicals at a proper temperature and out of reach of children and animals.