NTSB highlights accomplishments in report to Congress
The National Transportation Safety Board on July 1 released its annual report (large .pdf file) highlighting accomplishments made in 2009.
The report shows that NTSB initiated 13 major accident investigations and issued 240 safety recommendations, 74 of which were officially closed after being implemented with acceptable status. Progress was reported on recommendations in five areas:
- Improve child occupant protection
- Enact primary safety belt enforcement laws
- Eliminate distractions for young drivers though highway safety
- Eliminate hardcore drinking and driving
- Enhance recreational boating safety