NFPA offers winter fire tips
Quincy, MA – December, January and February are the top months for home fire deaths, according to the National Fire Protection Association. NFPA recently issued 10 suggestions to help ensure that households across the country remain safe during those months.
- Flammable objects should be kept at least 3 feet from heating equipment.
- Children must remain a minimum of 3 feet from open fires and heaters.
- Refrain from using an oven to supply heat.
- Water heaters and stationary space or central heating equipment must be installed by qualified professionals.
- All heating equipment and chimneys must be cleaned annually by a professional.
- Turn off portable heaters when leaving a room or sleeping.
- Only use manufacturer-recommended fuel in fuel-burning space heaters.
- When using a fireplace, use a sturdy screen to confine sparks.
- Ensure that working smoke alarms are installed on every level in a home.
- Develop and practice a home escape plan.