Keep products with magnets away from kids, safety groups advise

Reprints

Washington – Parents should keep products that contain magnets away from children to help prevent them from swallowing the magnets, according to a joint statement from the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Safe Kids USA. 

Refrigerator magnets, stress-relieving adult desk items and construction sets containing magnetic pieces can be dangerous to children, the organizations warned. Children who swallow a magnet may complain of abdominal pain and experience nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Parents or caregivers who suspect a child has swallowed a magnet should seek medical help immediately, the statement said.

Post a comment to this article

Safety+Health welcomes comments that promote respectful dialogue. Please stay on topic. Comments that contain personal attacks, profanity or abusive language – or those aggressively promoting products or services – will be removed. We reserve the right to determine which comments violate our comment policy. (Anonymous comments are welcome; merely skip the “name” field in the comment box. An email address is required but will not be included with your comment.)