Slow Down, Phone Down: Arkansas campaign geared toward reducing work zone incidents
Little Rock, AR — The Arkansas Department of Transportation, in partnership with the Arkansas State Police, Arkansas Highway Police and other state organizations, has launched a campaign aimed at reducing incidents and fatalities in work zones.
Unveiled Feb. 2, the Slow Down, Phone Down campaign was created in response to a recent surge in work zone incidents in Arkansas. Last year, the state recorded 2,140 work zone crashes that result in 16 deaths and 54 serious injuries. These totals represent increases of 74.8%, 23.1% and 3.8%, respectively, compared with those from 2018.
Slowing down and leaving cellphones alone are “the two most important measures we can take to prevent accidents in work zones,” ARDOT says. Drivers are reminded that it’s illegal to speed and/or use cellphones in work zones, and fines for traffic violations in work zones double when workers are present.
“Work zone safety is everyone’s job,” ARDOT says in a promotional campaign video. “We all want good roads. Our workers and those driving through work zones deserve to make it home safely. It’s a team effort.”
Throughout the campaign, which will run through the rest of the year, law enforcement presence will be increased in work zones statewide, “monitoring reckless and distracted driving to keep you and our workers safe.” Meanwhile, organizers will distribute awareness and educational materials.