AAOS releases basketball safety tips
Rosemont, IL – The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons recently released tips for avoiding basketball injuries.
Common basketball injuries include ankle sprains, knee injuries and foot fractures, according to AAOS. To help prevent injuries, the organization recommends the following:
- Wear appropriate equipment, including supportive shoes, ankle braces, knee and elbow pads, and a mouth guard.
- Do not wear jewelry or chew gum while playing.
- Ensure the court is free of rocks, holes and other hazards.
- Warm up before play.
- Drink 24 ounces of non-caffeinated fluid two hours before playing and 8 ounces immediately after. During the game, drink fluid every 20 minutes.
- Use proper play techniques. Do not hold, block, push, charge or trip opponents.