Explosives can be a quick and effective way for loggers to clear obstacles. However, if improperly used, stored or transported, explosives can also be extremely dangerous.
To avoid such hazards, OSHA recommends:
- Allow only designated, trained workers to handle or use explosives.
- Before blasting, be sure all other explosives are safely out of the area.
- When transporting explosives, do not carry firearms.
- Do not transport blasting caps in the same vehicle as explosives.
- Do not smoke or carry matches or other flame-producing materials while using explosives.
- Employees should never use alcohol, narcotics or other drugs when using explosives.
- Provide adequate warning to ensure all employees are under cover before blasting.