CDC: 1 out of every 8 public pools closed for violations
Approximately 1 out of every 8 pools inspected in 13 states in 2008 was closed due to serious code violations, according to a new report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Pools at child care facilities had the highest percentage of closures (17.2 percent), followed by hotel pools (15.3 percent), and apartment or condominium pools (12.4 percent). Children's wading pools and interactive fountains had the highest percentage of improper disinfectant and pH levels, which can lead to the transmission of germs that can cause gastroenteritis.
CDC offers the following tips for healthy swimming:
- Do not swim when you have diarrhea.
- Don't swallow pool water.
- Shower with soap before swimming, and wash hands after using the bathroom or changing a diaper.
- Take children on frequent bathroom breaks and check diapers often .
- Do not change diapers poolside .
- Wash your children thoroughly before they go swimming.