According to OSHA, injuries on loading docks most often occur when forklifts run off docks, or when product or equipment falls off and strikes a workers. To prevent such injuries, the agency recommends:
- Drive forklifts slowly on docks and dock plates.
- Secure dock plates, and always verify a plate can fully support the weight of the load.
- Stay clear of the edges, and never back forklifts up to the dock’s edge.
- Provide visual warnings near the edges of the dock.
- Prohibit employees from jumping on or off docks.
- Ensure dock ladders and stairs meet OSHA specifications.
Post a comment to this article
Safety+Health welcomes comments that promote respectful dialogue. Please stay on topic. Comments that contain personal attacks, profanity or abusive language – or those aggressively promoting products or services – will be removed. We reserve the right to determine which comments violate our comment policy. (Anonymous comments are welcome; merely skip the “name” field in the comment box. An email address is required but will not be included with your comment.)