Don’t blow it on torch safety
Misuse or improper handling of oxygen-acetylene torches can lead to serious property damage, injury and even death. The Mine Safety and Health Administration recommends taking the following precautions when using an oxygen-acetylene torch:
- Prior to use, inspect all hoses, gauges, regulators and torches, and replace or repair any defective parts.
- Make sure the torch is equipped with a flow check gauge.
- Properly train all employees who will be using the torch.
- Keep combustible materials away from the area where the torch will be used.
- Install a flash arrestor at both ends of the hose.
- Verify the adjusting screw is closed by turning it counterclockwise before opening the cylinder valve.
- Open cylinder valves slowly, and do not stand in front of the regulator while doing so.
- Never compress acetylene above 15 psig.
- Purge oxygen and acetylene lines individually before lighting the torch.
- Light acetylene before opening the oxygen line.