DOT reviews recommendations to strengthen aviation safety
Washington – The Department of Transportation's Future of Aviation Advisory Committee on Dec. 15 submitted 23 recommendations to Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood on how to strengthen competitiveness and safety in aviation.
The 19-member committee, formed in April, addressed five issues:
- • Ensuring aviation safety
- • Ensuring a world-class aviation workforce
- • Balancing the industry’s competitiveness and viability
- • Securing stable funding for aviation systems
- • Addressing environmental challenges and solutions
National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Deborah Hersman said the recommendations "are a step in the right direction, but they do not go far enough to ensure the safety of the smallest children in airplanes." NTSB hosted a forum Dec. 9 on child passenger safety in the air and in motor vehicles.