OSHA reissues crowd-control tips for retailers
Washington – OSHA is reminding major retail employers to take steps to prevent worker injuries during major sales events such as Black Friday.
In response to the 2008 death of a worker trampled by a mob of shoppers, OSHA issued a fact sheet on crowd management safety. Recommendations include:
- Have trained security personnel or police officers onsite.
- Set up barricades or rope lines before customers arrive.
- Develop an emergency procedure to address potential dangers.
- Explain entrance procedures to the public.
- Do not allow customers inside once the store reaches maximum capacity.
- Do not block or lock exit doors.
Post a comment to this article
Safety+Health welcomes comments that promote respectful dialogue. Please stay on topic. Comments that contain personal attacks, profanity or abusive language – or those aggressively promoting products or services – will be removed. We reserve the right to determine which comments violate our comment policy. (Anonymous comments are welcome; merely skip the “name” field in the comment box. An email address is required but will not be included with your comment.)