Pediatricians offer tips on safe Internet practices for kids
Chicago – June is Internet Safety Month, and the American Academy of Pediatrics is advising parents to help keep children safe from Internet dangers, such as accessing disturbing information or images, being bullied, or talking to strangers.
Parents should have a discussion with their children about the dangers that exist online to ensure children are following safe practices, AAP said. In addition, AAP advises parents to set the following restrictions:
- Keep the computer in a centralized location.
- Install web-filtering programs to block unwanted content.
- Specify what sites your children can visit.
- Talk to children about how to react to online harassment.
- Limit the amount of time your child spends online.