Avoid forklift incidents
Forklift trucks are powerful equipment, and employees can be seriously injured if safe operating procedures are not followed. To stay safe, OSHA advises forklift operators to:
- Inspect forklifts before every use.
- Perform regular maintenance checks on tires.
- Establish safe procedures for loads, including picking up, putting down and stacking.
- Turn off a forklift before performing maintenance.
- Avoid overloading the forklift by following manufacturer guidelines on weight capacity.
- Pick up loads with care.
- Ensure a load is secured, carefully centered and distributed properly to maintain balance.
- Ensure the forklift is at the correct height for picking up a load.
- Wear the safety belt installed by the manufacturer.
- Never engage in horseplay.
- Never exceed 5 mph in congested or slippery areas.
- Never drive too close to people standing in front of fixed or stacked objects.