FMCSA seeks feedback on ‘Beyond Compliance’ program
Washington – The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is seeking public feedback on the most effective way to implement a voluntary program to help reduce truck and bus crashes.
The proposed “Beyond Compliance” program would consist of motor carriers implementing voluntary measures that exceed regulatory requirements. FMCSA said it is considering how to measure voluntary technologies or best practices when evaluating the safety of a motor carrier.
FMCSA is seeking comments on the following questions, as phrased in the April 23 Federal Register:
- What voluntary technologies or safety program best practices would be appropriate for a Beyond Compliance program?
- What safety performance metrics should be used to evaluate the success of voluntarily implemented technologies or safety program best practices?
- What incentives would encourage motor carriers to invest in technologies and best practice programs?
- What events should cause the incentives to be removed?
- Should this program be developed by the private sector like PrePass, ISO 9000 or Canada’s Partners in Compliance?
- How would FMCSA verify that the voluntary technologies or safety programs were being implemented?
Comments are due June 22.